Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Swearing off the soda

So had a bit of excitement this weekend. Sunday afternoon I started to feel pretty crummy, I'd had an annoying pain in my right side for several days that I chalked up to the growing belly. But Sunday afternoon it reached a new level--as in I'm seeing spots, think I'm going to pass out from this pain (or as Brian Reegan would say "it feels like all my insides, want to be on my outsides). So Jared packed me up in the car and headed over to the hospital. Once we got there and got me checked in the first thing the nurse says to me is "you are REALLY dehydrated". I'm sort of in and out of chattiness at this point so I give her that forced smile, nod and say "yeah I'm not the best water drinker" and I'm thinking somebody just get me some morphine! She comes back a few minutes later to put in the I.V., draw blood, all that fun stuff. Still no pain meds. Then I start throwing up. Now I get my shot of pain killers. So I settle into that drug induced haze but for some reason still not getting a lot of pain relief. So I power through one bag of hydrating goodness and I'm still dehydrated so I get a second dose. Doc comes in says the good news is I don't have a kidney infection, but it might be a kidney stone, also since I've been on the monitor I've started having contractions so they can't send me home. Lovely. So I'm still in and out of awareness when the nurse comes in and says good news is the contractions have stopped, bad news is baby's heart rate is getting a little low so no going home. Now had I not been thoroughly high this probably would have alarmed me more. However, since I had not only a shot of morphine but also some lovely other pain meds, and was now working on 3 bags of hydration I was only able to nod and let my eyes roll back into my head. About two hours later I was pronounced releasable. Baby and I were out of immediate danger and could be sent on our way. I woke up the next day with a super hangover, fortunately Jared stayed home! And in my attempt to stay better hydrated I started the day off with a water bottle. Well come lunch time I was really craving a Root Beer and I thought, hey it's liquid.... About 20 minutes after I drank half my root beer that pesky ache in my side started to come back. Well that's annoying I thought and I downed another water bottle. So Tuesday I am off to Sam's club and I swing by the food court for a healthy hot dog (ha ha ha) and uber sized soda. I get about half of the soda down and I start not feeling so good. By the time I get home my palms are sweating from the pain. I start chugging the water as fast as I can. After a few hours I start feeling better and yes that dim light bulb starts to flicker on. So after being the guinea pig in my own experiment it's safe to say no more soda for me. Yet another reminder that I'm now over 30 and my body isn't what it used to be. Life can be so cruel.

3 comments:

ablykins said...

Yikes!! I'm glad you and the baby are OK! What a scare! Did the doctor mention anything about the soda connection when you were in the hospital?

I've had to limit my soda intake to just 1 diet coke a day (boo hoo) since, after doing some reading on women's health, I found out that not only can too much soda alter your body's nomral Ph levels, but can also leech calcium from your bones....and for women over 25 that starts to become a concern. I asked my Dr. about it and she said if you drink 1 normal can of soda, you should balance it out with an 8 oz. glass of non-fat/low-fat milk sometime during the day, and drink plenty of water or herbal tea! I feel you...the joys of getting older! lol

I hope you find that reducing your soda intake fixes the problem and you don't have any more scares like that!

rockkinrobbins said...

That is what happened to me with Asa. Never thought dehydration would hurt so bad. Glad you are doing better. Lay off the soda :P

Stacy said...

"No more soda for you... for one month"... Okay, okay... I'm not the 'Soda Nazi'. But, yah... sounds like the soda is making your insides wanna be on your outsides! TOO FUNNY! Oh... we miss you guys so much. It was so nice to be with you guys!

Everytime I feed Jaren and he grabs the bottle or his spoon, I think to myself, "How do I get that goodness IN ME?!?"

Anywho, I hope you are doing better. I just ran across a quote today that may make you laugh and it goes a little somethin' like this:

"The only way to keep your health is to eat what you don't want, drink what you don't like and do what you'd rather not." Mark Twain

Oh so true. Sucks... doesn't it?!

Well... feel better! Love from Iowa!