Monday, January 7, 2008

Random Thoughts in the middle of the night

Well ok, it's not exactly the middle of the night. In fact it's really only about 10:20 pm but these days that's about as middle of the night as I get. It's been too long since I posted and I haven't gotten my tushy in gear to download photos from the camera to the computer so I have no interesting pictures to publish. But I can't sleep and if I don't occupy my hands they may find themselves around Jared's neck to stop the snoring... So I decided to post these random thoughts that have been floating around for the past few days.

1) I did make a New Year's goal/resolution whatever you want to call it. Just one though, I don't want to over-exert myself (when did I get so lazy?!?). Here it is: make dinner every week night. Now for many of you I'm sure you're thinking I've been doing this for years what is your problem. But for me this is a huge undertaking. I seriously cook like 5 things, which means I make dinner about 1 night a week. I won't even tell you what I spend on take out...it's close to the national debt.

2) Earplugs are the greatest invention ever. Jared snores. And I don't mean that soft humming sound. I mean rattle me out of bed in the middle of the night snores. I finally taped it and played it for him because he didn't believe me when I explained it to him. He brought home ear plugs the next day. The first night I used them I slept for 11 hours--who knew I was so sleep deprived! For the first time in ten years I am sleeping through the night! Why did I wait so long?

3) Is 6 too early to diagnose mental illness? I really think Aubrey has multiple personalities or something. How can she go from the sweet loving child who cheerfully offers to wash Natalie's hair in the tub to crazy girl who stays up all night coloring on her ENTIRE body with permanent marker and cutting her own hair to the scalp if there's not something chemically wrong?

Well that's about it. I feel inspired to go find the camera and the cable and download some pictures, just so I can say I accomplished something today.

3 comments:

Memory said...

Oh my goodness! First, completely understand about the meals. That's even loftier than my goal of 3-4 times a week. The rest seems to be cereal or sandwiches or something really easy. Ha! about the ear plugs. I'm glad you finally have a solution. Maybe you can get caught up on your sleep debt before the baby comes. And about Aubrey...oh boy. I was thinking maybe she needs some red meat. I remember Jared's mom telling me about a time he tore apart his room when he was deprived of red meat too long. Ha! If that's not it, I don't know what. But you DO need to get a picture of her hair to share!!

ablykins said...

Congrats on your cooking goal! I hope it goes well! I'm not sure if you are familiar with Rachael Ray, but she has some really fun, easy recipes and has a show called 30-minute meals. Each day she demonstrates a whole meal in just 30 minutes. You should check out her site or one of her cookbooks if you have time.

Too funny about the ear plugs. John snores too sometimes, but usually an elbow to his ribs in the middle of the night quiets him down in a hurry...(sorry honey).

Sorry to hear about the situation with Aubrey, that must be really tough to go through! There are so many factors that can affect the behavior of children, and also the thought of another little one to share attention with can sometimes cause abnormal behavior. From what I was reading in my psychology book last term, it is never too early to give attention to mental health issues, and emotional well being. If she's struggling with something that she is unable to articulate and/or verbally express, there are more than likely some great resources her pediatrician can recommend to help her express herself. Good luck! We sure love you guys!!

PS- Happy Birthday Jared!!

Stacy said...

I'll keep this short.
1) Cooking goal - My goal as well
2) Ear Plugs - I've been using them for a LONG time now! Ed gets LOTS from work for free!
3) One word: Eden

I'll be thinking of you! :) I really love reading your blogs! It makes me feel closer! Also... I hope you had a "FANTASTIC" birthday, Jared!!