Monday, January 7, 2008

Making way for baby

As we prepare for the arrival for baby #3 we have had to do some room reshuffling. We have three bedrooms in our house. One for Aubrey & Natalie, one for me & Jared and one for the office/craft room. Well I couldn't in good conscience put a third child into Aubrey & Natalie's room, it's just not that big. So I conceded that sacrifices must be made. Once I realized how much craft/office stuff there was I knew there was no way we could squeeze it in even if I sent Jared packing to the patio to sleep with the dogs. So then the question became, where do we find another room? My first choice was to move on up to that bigger house I've had my eye on, but Jared nixed that idea. We looked at adding on to our room (master retreat type idea) that was REALLY expensive. So we looked at a "sunroom" addition. Okay, no offense to anyone who might have one but it looked like someone parked a single wide outside our bedroom and it wasn't that much cheaper than the addition. So Jared said "how about the garage?" I initially vetoed this idea, vehemently. But as the list of options narrowed I began to realize it was this or well...this was it. So I reluctantly acquiesced. We're not quite done yet, the rest of the carpet arrives on Wednesday and will take some work getting it installed but its coming along nicely. I have to give Jared his "I told you so" dues. I didn't think it would work but I actually really like it so far! And the girls are in heaven in the new "playroom".
This is a "before" shot. Jared had just cut the sheet rock in order to run a new breaker and outlets for my craft area. Another "before" shot of the laundry area.This doesn't really count as a before shot. We got a new garage door just after Thanksgiving that was insulated w/ windows. Hate to say it but I didn't think it would make that big of a difference, but it's a HUGE difference. I love it!Patching holes was fun... Apparently the guy who lived here before us thought the best way to find a stud was to just start hammering in nails until you get one.More hole patching and trying out the new color.Painting day! Everybody got in on the action. Thanks for the help Steve!Garage door opener got replaced with the ceiling fan.My new work area, pre-stain.My new and improved laundry area. I already feel more laundry getting done!Natalie helping Jared lay the carpet tiles.The room at the end of Christmas vacation. Jared's also gotten all the cabinets stained, but I haven't taken pictures yet. Once the rest of the carpet is in I'll post the "finished" room shots!

4 comments:

ablykins said...

Wowee!! What a huge undertaking; massive kudos to Jared for making this happen! It looks really awesome, and I'm blow away by all the work he's gotten done! That is one spiffy looking garage!! I can't wait to see photos of the finished project!

Blackburns said...

I can't wait to see the finished room. It looks good so far.

Stacy said...

Holy Cow!!! You guys have really gotten A LOT done since we've been there! It looks great!

rockkinrobbins said...

Awesome!!