Tuesday, November 6, 2007

New Wheels



Last Christmas Aubrey asked for a pair of Heelys. This really surprised me and Jared because Aubrey is a real girlie girl and we couldn't see our little princess skating around in those. So we put her off, and put her off. And we thought she'd forgotten about them. Well about September when soccer season started she asked again for Heelys. We had a great strategy we told her she could get Heelys at the end of the season as long as she played really hard, went to all her practices and games, etc. So we thought we'd put her off and she'd forget about them. Oh no. On Saturday she asked if soccer was finished for the year. We told her she had one more day of games and then yes soccer would be over. She brightened up "So we can go get my Heelys!". Jared and I looked at each other, had she really remembered all this time? So Saturday afternoon we were off to Big 5 in search of Heelys. When we got home she wanted to try them right away and as I feared she fell and had Jared drag her across the garage instead of skating. I did an internal eye roll of "I knew this wasn't a good idea". Well bright and early she was up and wanting to try again. So we got them out again and back to the garage we went. She was starting to get the hang of it! Sunday night after her final soccer games she wanted back at those Heelys. I'll admit I was shocked! She practiced and practiced until she could momentarily let go of Jared's arm. Monday morning was the same routine. I was greeted by Aubrey, dressed, Heelys in hand waiting for me to get up. She went to work with Jared and practiced all day down the halls. By the time she got home Monday night she was skating the length of the grocery store aisle. I was so impressed! Way to go Aubrey--you skater girl!

6 comments:

ablykins said...

This is a great story, and I can just imagine Aubrey waiting for you with her new Heely's in hand each day to get her practice in! She's too cute! What a champ for sticking with it and mastering her new wheels! Thanks for sharing!

Blackburns said...

Way to go Aubs!! I can't wait to see you skating around in those things.

rockkinrobbins said...

Have fun with those! I wish I was a kid again!!

Stacy said...

Hey girlfriend... don't go bustin' that pretty little head on us! ;)

Love,
Your crazy Aunt Stacy and equally if not more crazy Uncle Ed

heidi said...

all I can say is be careful...I got in trouble for taking a child into the ER after an accident on a scooter--no helmet. I'm talking CPS. I told Delaney who got heely's on her 9th bday (literally the day after "the incident") not to fall because I wasn't going to take her to the ER if she didn't wear a helmet. I am now officially the helmet police on my cul de sac. cps doesn't mess around!!

Amy said...

Kids are fearless! I don't think that many adults, myself included, could skate around on those things. Way to go, Aubrey!