Monday, November 12, 2007

From Bad to Worse

So everyone I know has a cleaning obsession....I know you know what I'm talking about. Whether it's the grout in the tile, the baseboards, the nasty buildup around the faucets, the shower, whatever it is you know what I'm talking about. The second it gets dirty you fly into super cleaning mode and have to have it clean because it feels like the whole house is filthy as long as that part is giving you the stare down. For me, it's carpet. I hate carpet. I hate carpet stains, I hate lint on my carpet, I even get so paranoid by shadows and wear patters that I'll move furniture around to get it all even. So a few months ago I made the fantastic purchase of a Kirby vacuum to help keep my carpets clean. Because when you have a carpet obsession and they show you all the dirt your vacuum is sucking up...well you just can't help yourself. And this fantastic little guy had a bonus feature, carpet cleaning attachments. Oh I was over the moon I was going to have the cleanest carpets in history. Little did I know... So I shampooed my carpets and they glowed, then the glow started to wear off and I started noticing these spots, so I shampooed again and it got worse, let's boil it down and say I used the entire bottle of cleaner trying to shampoo them back to brilliance. Well after trying to ignore the spots, cover them up and contemplating re-carpeting I decided to give it one more go with no soap just hot water. Oh was that the wrong idea. I started in my office. I had three "major" bad spots in there, each about 6-8" in diameter and they were dark spots. So I got my nice hot water and my super sucker out and started off. It started so well, the water came out black and murky and soapy. Ahh! I had discovered the problem...too much soap residue. Hooray, now I could return to carpet perfection. So I continued onto the other two spots and after an hour and a half it seemed much improved. The carpets were still damp so I closed the office door, turned the fan off and headed off for a much deserved nap. While I slept something terrible happened. Those 6-8" dark spots turned into 24" white spots surrounded by a nasty black rings. I'd take a picture but I'm too embarrassed. So I have resigned myself to area rugs until I can buy new carpet. Very dark carpet, maybe made of plastic.

5 comments:

Heather said...

Feel your pain. I hate that our dining room has carpet! We are also starting to get spots and it drives me crazy. Let me know the solution!

Amy said...

Now I'm curious! I want to see the pictures!

Memory said...

Oh, my! So much to say here. First, I wish you had told me you wanted a Kirby. I would've sold you ours!! :-) Second, I'M the one who's embarrassed that your cleaning obsession is carpets and our carpets look like a spotted dog. Ugh. It drives me crazy! Third, why does that happen?? I've been thinking that we should use the Kirby shampooer on our carpet, but now I'm not so sure! If the stars align correctly, I'll get my Kirby listed on eBay this week. Hallelujah!

rockkinrobbins said...

I have learned that cleaning carpet with out soap and just hot water is the best way! Spots seem to hate that!

Stacy said...

I guess you'll just have to move. :) hehehe