Friday, October 26, 2007

The Cruise Report Pt. 1

Well we are home from our cruise, mostly unpacked and round two of laundry is almost over, so I figured it was time to start posting the highlights. This trip definitely had ups and downs. The highs included the nightly entertainment, the stop in Puerto Vallarta and two days of perfect weather. The lows would be the hurricane force winds that picked up around day four and turned our otherwise pleasant boat into a nightmare from whence there was no escape, missing two ports because of weather and emergencies at sea (our boat was called into a rescue operation on day 6) and sadly...the food. I know I had high hopes for our dining adventures but it was not to be. To give you a feel for what I'm saying on Mexican night when we got chips and salsa instead of bread (which by the way I LOVE chips and salsa) we got Tostitos and Pace. Which I admit I eat at home...but I had higher expectations. On Asian night the noodles were, well, Ramen. So between the rocking boat and the food my tummy has been in the seventh circle for some time...

But for what the food lacked the entertainment made up for in spades! I think our favorite was the magician. This guy blew my mind! My favorite trick was putting his assistant into a coffin sized box then folding that box to roughly 20"x20", then unfolding it and out she popped. Totally crazy!! I also loved his rope trick where he he cut a rope in half then tied it together and proceeded to move the knot all along the rope and finally pulled the knot right off and the rope was whole. Crazy stuff. He also did a second show that was all card tricks which were amazing. I have to say seeing magic live on stage is completely different than on TV--I loved it.

There was also a fantastic comedy/improv group that performed a couple times and they were hilarious! We also got to see a wonderful music, dance and theater troupe perform. This of course is near and dear to my heart and brought back all kinds of BYU memories. Their best performance was Music of the Night a compilation of Andrew Lloyd Weber's work.

So even though dinner was never great, we could always count on a great show after!
This is proof that we did have at least some good weather! There is nothing quite as relaxing as reading by the pool having drinks brought to you at will!My one and only towel animal.
Playing bingo in the lounge. We were one number away from the big jackpot!

2 comments:

Stacy said...

I would LOVE to go on a cruise someday! Too bad about the food and crazy weather! We sure miss you guys!!!

ablykins said...

Glad you guys are back after a fun cruise experience! That's too bad about the food! I hope you guys filed a complaint/comment about the quality of the food offerings! Happy 10th anniversary!

Next time you guys are planning a cruise or tour, please let me know if you need help choosing agencies and/or amenities! The homework I've been doing for school over the past year has helped me tap into the ins and outs of the tourism and hospitaly industry!